Idrica's boarding school, like many similar institutions, survives due to donations of different
charity organizations. Government has always funded only the most necessary expenditures, and now,
during economics crisis, that budget has been cut even more. This produced a great amount of problems that
cannot be easily solved. Living spaces have to be renovated, the leaks from roof need to be fixed,
windows and doors have to be replaced. There is not enough clothe and sport equipment.
Here is an excerpt from an email that I received from the school in April, 2009: (translated from Russian)
... And now for the problems.
1. There is a leak in the roof of a two story building that contains gym, workshops, and children's rooms.
We have tried going to various charities with this problem, but it requires a lot of money and the result
of the donations cannot be easily and quickly observed, like that of material donations of clothes and other
items. Because of that, this project was rejected a few time
2. Windows in the kitchen and dining room need to be replaced
3. Doors in the group rooms (?) need to be replaced
4. Children need a playground.
That project has also been rejected once
These are the big problems. I cannot give you the financial requirements for these changes right
away, but these are large sums of money.
And now about smaller things. At the end of each year we used to give awards to children with greatest
achievements in studies and work, we used to buy them presents. Nowadays, we do not have money for that
anymore. But we still want to do it. We really need sport equipment. Our children like to play soccer,
tennis, and other games.
- 5 soccer balls - 1000 rubles each, 5000 rubles total (about $267)
- 20 tennis sets - 3000 rubles$ (~$100)
- 5 volleyball balls - 4500 rubles (~$150)
- 30 jumping ropes - 1000 rubles (~34)$
- 10 bicycles - 5000 rubles each, 50000 rubles total (~$2667) (We have 5 old bikes that were given to us by Norway donors.
But they are for very little kids and they are already old. And a bike is a dream of many children!)
We are going to run out of clothe and shoes soon, so:
- Sneakers - 100 pairs, 1000 rubles each (~ $33 each, $3333 total). We could try to find cheaper ones,
but we'd like to have some kind of quality.
- winter coats - 100 items, 2000 rubles each (~ $67 each, $6670 total).. Once again - could probably find
- woolen socks - 100 pairs - 100 rubles each (~ $33 each, $333 total).
Our girls really like to do needlework, so we'd like to get them needlework kits - 50 kits, 1$ each - $50total
glass beads kits - 100 kits, $1 each - $100
If you would like to make donation to kids from Shushkovo please click here